Local Lotto

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Twitter Feed

Honours Even For Junior A's

Sunday, 14 August 2011 18:48
Print PDF

A valuable point gained in Glengarriff today in a battling match that saw the lead change hands five times. Urhan 1-10 St. James' 1-10.

dscn3233 banner


Urhan took the field in determined mood and created three point chances early on which resulted in three narrow wides. However, when Dan Dwyer broke through on four minutes he made no mistake and Urhan took the lead courtesy of a booming point.


St. James' levelled it up with their first effort at the posts a minute later, and went ahead cortesy of a 45 on eleven minutes, tipped over well by Martin McCarthy. A minute later they extended their lead to two with another well-taken free, and Urhan had little to show for a lot of good play.


Declan Healy rectified matters two minutes later with a well-taken point after an excellent move, only for St. James' to reply with a point from the half-forward line on eighteen minutes.


From there, Urhan took control. a fine ball over the top from the outstanding James Healy set Vinny Lehane off. Losing two players he shot and forced a fine save. the rebound fell to Declan Healy, who goaled to send Urhan into a 1-02 to 0-4 lead. Going well at centrefield now, Urhan immediately produced another fine move which led to a smilarly fine Donal O' Shea point. When the impressive Dan Dwyer delivered his second point on twenty-four minutes it put Urhan 1-04 to 0-4 up, a lead they took to the break, and may well have added to had they converted a few more chances.


Facing into a strengthening wind in the second half was always going to lead to challenges, but a free from the recently-introduced Concubhar Harrington, and a point from play from Vinny lehane strengthened Urhan's cause. St. James' ralled with a 45 on thirty-six minutes and a free on thirty-seven, and the gap was back down to a goal. James Healy pointed on thirty-eight, before the game swung back St. James' way. Martin McCarthy magicked a great save from St. James' first goal chance of the game before another free reduced the deficit for the Ardfield men. Another great save followed from the Urhan custodian before a 45th minute free dropped short and somehow, through a forest of men, dropped into the net. It looked like a square ball, but the goal was given and the game was tied. St. James' tacked on another point to take the lead.


Urhan now had to dig deep, finding themselves behind despite having played most of the football. Concubhar Harrington obliged with a sweetly-taken point on fifty-three, and another on fifty-six and Urhan were back in front. With tension rising, St. James drew level again with three to play, and took the lead with yet another free in the final minute.


But Urhan never gave up and continued driving forward, and as added time began Ciarán O' Sullivan burst through the St. James' cover to drive the equalising point. In truth, it was the least Urhan deserved. Urhan 1-10 St. James 1-10.


While there was no getting away from the fact that St. James' were understrength today, Urhan's performance was encouraging on a number of levels, and while two points could easily have been secured, one point may well prove invaluable in terms of securing Division One football for 2012.


Team: Martin McCarthy; PJ Cadogan, John Dwyer, Luke Daly; David Cronin, Mikey Shea, Daniel Dwyer; Finbarr Dwyer, James Healy; Martin O' Neill, Ciarán O' Sullivan, David McCarthy; Vinny Lehane, Donal O' Shea, Declan Healy.


Subs: Concubhar Harrington for Donal O' Shea, Sean O' Shea for Luke Daly, Aidan O' Neill for Martin O' Neill.

Last Updated on Saturday, 24 September 2011 07:27