Urhan Are Beara Champions!

Sunday, 18 September 2011 21:30

Urhan were crowned Beara Champions yesterday after the toughest of replays. Urhan 0-08 Garnish 0-07. Congrats to all involved. Oircheann Abú!

beara junior final 170911 team captioned banner


Our thoughts are with the family of Teresa Harrington, especially our team mates and colleagues who mourn their Grandmother's passing. Our commiserations go to Garnish, and we thank them for their help and co-operation over these last couple of days.




On Saturday evening, the 17th, Urhan and Garnish returned to Droum pitch in Castletownbere to finally draw the Beara Championship to a conclusion. The crowd came again in big numbers hoping for another thrilling affair in this replay. Despite the tough conditions both sides contributed hugely to a very hard fought, honest contest.


Garnish started the better closing down Urhan men very effectively throughout the half as they faced the strong diagonal wind. Possession in the middle sector was fiercely contested and, as Garnish congested their half of the field, Urhan repeatedly conceded possession in the opening half.


Garnish were the first to register a point through Paudie O’Sullivan on the eleventh minute. The next score was a long time coming as both teams found it difficult to transfer the ball to the scoring zone. Vincent Lehane was the first Urhan player to register a score on the twenty-seventh minute but Garnish immediately responded through full forward, Tom Bowe.


As the game ticked into injury time Concubhar Harrington stepped up with the trusty left boot to slot between the posts and conclude the scoring in the first period. HT: Urhan 0-2 Garnish 0-2.


Urhan now had a massive uphill battle in front of them, like Garnish the week before, if they were to retain their title with strong elements and a much-focused, driven Garnish outfit to face. Despite being two of the better players on show Urhan withdrew young duo David Cronin and Luke Daly in favour of more experience in the form of Donal O’ Shea and Sean O’ Shea. Urhan willingly began the task in the second half as they now exerted more pressure around the middle third and fed the lively forwards. This soon began to tell as much of the early football of the second half was played in the Garnish half.


Declan Healy opened his account with a pointed free on the thirty-third minute to give Urhan the lead for the first time. Experienced men Concubhar Harrington and Ciarán O’Sullivan now had a platform to dictate the play and soon Vincent Lehane and Concubhar with a free extended the lead with ten minutes gone.


This was not to deter the resilient western parish and they duly responded with two of their own from the boot of Tom Bowe and Brian ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan in quick succession to leave the game well in the balance again. Primary possession was as vital as ever now and cool heads in this hot battle. Concubhar Harrington accordingly stepped up again to allow Urhan breathe, if only just, and push them into a two point lead. Typical of the game though with ten minutes remaining the next score fell to Paudie O’ Sullivan of Garnish. Harrington again responded for Urhan with every kick now crucial.


Play continued unabated with every man pushing hard for every inch. Garnish again reduced the lead with a free on the 55th minute before Harrington countered again with a free of his own. The game was very much still in the balance however with stout defending on both sides.


Garnish concluded the scoring with the influential young Sean ‘Terry’ O’ Sullivan to leave the minimum in it at the death. The next kick-out was now key, Brian ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan fetched the ball well but the referee judged a Garnish player have fouled and Urhan could pause again for breathe. The ball was launched into the Garnish half and Urhan held out to win.


Congratulations to all involved, on both sides, for serving up two very good contests. Commiserations to the Garnish club who prepared excellently for this championship and built greatly from last year. Urhan will now contest the County Junior A quarter-final against Michelstown on the 1st of October in Dunmanway.


Team: Martin McCarthy; PJ Cadogan, John Dwyer, Luke Daly; David Cronin, Mikey O' Shea, Brian Healy; James Healy (capt.), Dan Dwyer; Martin O' Neill, Ciarán O' Sullivan, David McCarthy; Concubhar Harrington, Vinny Lehane, Decland Healy.


Subs: Sean O' Shea for Luke Daly, Donal O' Shea for David Cronin, Iain O' Sullivan for Martin O' Neill.


Urhan withstand gallant Garnish surge


URHAN made no mistake at the second time of asking to claim the Beara JAFC final in Castletownbere on Saturday, but not before withstanding a gallant fightback by Garnish.

Saved by a last-minute point in the drawn game, the winners managed to open up a three-point lead in the third quarter of this replay where Garnish on three occasions subsequently reduced the lead to the minimum but could never reel in the defending champions who now face Mitchelstown in the quarter-final of the County championship.

A big improvement will have to be sought from the Beara representatives if further headway is to be made having struggled on both occasions to cope with a determined Garnish outfit. In fact it took 25 minutes to open their scoring account in a game where the sides were level at two points apiece after an uneventful opening half.

In the third quarter Urhan gave a determined push towards the retention of their crown by kicking three unanswered points after which they had to defend desperately before reclaiming their title.

On a showery afternoon, conditions militated against good football but any that was played in the opening 25 minutes came from the challengers. Despite being pitted against the strong cross-field wind, Garnish, with Seán ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan excelling, were top dogs early on. Tom Bowe was denied a goal for them in the 13th minute after a great save from the winners’ keeper Martin McCarthy. And at that stage, Paudie ‘Bernie’ O’Sullivan’s point was all they had to show for their early dominance before Urhan’s Vinny Lehane finally opened their account five minutes from half time.

It was two apiece at the break after which Lehane, Declan Healy and top forward Conchúr Harrington eased Urhan clear before the late Garnish surge twice brought them to within a point of the winners who just about held out in a hectic finish.

Scorers for Urhan: C Harrington 0-5 (3fs), V Lehane 0-2, D Healy 0-1f.

Scorers for Garnish: T Bowe, P ‘Bernie’ O’Sullivan 0-2 each, J Harrington, F O’Sullivan, S ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan (f) 0-1 each.

URHAN: M McCarthy; PJ Cadogan, J Dwyer, L Daly; B Healy, M O’Shea, D Cronin; J Healy, D Dwyer; M O’Neill, C O’Sullivan, D McCarthy; C Harrington, V Lehane, D Healy.

Subs: S O’Shea for D Cronin, I O’Sullivan for M O’Neill.*

GARNISH: M O’Sullivan; C Harrington, B Walsh, H O’Sullivan; S ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan, E Murphy, D Harrington; J Harrington, B ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan; C O’Neill, K O’Sullivan, A Harrington; D Henshaw, T Bowe, P ‘Bernie’ O’Sullivan.


* Missed sub: D O Shea for L Daly. 

beara junior final 170911 bursting out 

beara junior final 170911 ciaran

beara junior final 170911 off and running

beara junior final 170911 presentation

beara junior final 170911 speech

beara junior final 170911 crowd

beara junior final 170911 team

beara junior final 170911 team captioned

Photos above kind courtesy of our resident 'snaps': Kathleen Dwyer.

Following photos kind courtesy of: Mairead O' Driscoll, CTB


































The following photos by Kind courtesy of Sandra O' Shea:-










The following photo by kind courtesy of Caoimhe O' Sullivan:- 


And the following photo was nicked, to be honest, from Colman O' Sullivan:-




Last Updated on Wednesday, 28 September 2011 11:58