Local Lotto

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Twitter Feed

A's Open With A Draw

Sunday, 03 March 2013 19:18
Print PDF


A second-half comeback from the hosts meant it finished all square in Ahiohill today in the A's league opener. St. Oliver Plunkett's 1-10 Urhan 1-10.

dscn4743 banner


The A's came home from their league opener in Ahiol on Sunday with a point, but the general consensus was that the 1-10 apiece draw represented a point lost afetr Plunkett's pegged back a five-point deficit.

The home side may have had the wind at their backs to aid their recovery but Urhan had ample chances to seal the win before Plunkett's 65th-minute leveler.

The visitors had started with great energy and directness. Sound defensive work got the ball to Martin O' Neill, who found Concubhar Harrington in the corner and the ball was worked rapidly from right to left through Ciarán O' Sullivan's hands to the inrushing Vinny Lehane who goaled neatly.

Urhan's centrefield of Dan and Finbarr Dwyer dominated throughout and they, with the help of a stout back six and a resillient James Dwyer, gave Urhan a platform for a period of dominance that would last for most of the first half. A purple patch between the fifteenth and twentieth minute brought points from Martin O' Neill and two from Vinny Lehane. Plunkett's notched their first point in the same period.

The disallowing of a Concubhar Harrington goal, after a swift one-two with Vinny Lehane, gave the home side some hope and they responded with their second point on twenty-three minutes. Urhan hit back with a citog from Iain O' Sullivan and a right-footed driven effort from wing-back David McCarthy.

A late Plunkett's point brought up half time. St. Oliver Plunkett's 0-03 Urhan 1-05.

Plunkett's opened the scoring five minutes into the second half with the game's first converted free but the half was taking a while to come to life. Substitute Sean O' Sullivan got on to a fine pass from Martin O' Neill to restore Urhan's five-point lead. Ciaran O' Sullivan did likewise after Plunkett's reduced it again.

It was tit-for-tat for all the third quarter until Plunkett's hit for a goal with eight minutes to go, and there was now only two in it. Then the scores started flying.

Ciarán O' Sullivan fed Sean O' Sullivan for a fine point. Plunkett's hit back with two. Dec Healy put Sean O' Sullivan away for his third point with a minute to go and there was two points in it again. Sean then fed Ciarán for his second with a switch pass. One minute into added time and the lead was at three. But Plunkett's reduced it to two a minute later and kept coming. Two pointed frees in the following three minutes sealed the draw and split the points. A fair result.

The league is undoubtedly underway!

Team: Sean Daly; Aidan O' Neill, Luke Daly, Cormac O' Shea; David McCarthy, John Dwyer, Kieran O' Neill; Dan Dwyer (c), Finbarr Dwyer; Martin O' Neill, Iain O' Sullivan, James Dwyer; Concubhar Harrington, Ciarán O' Sullivan, Vinny Lehane.

Subs: PJ Cadogan (for Kieran O' Neill), David Cronin, Niall Dwyer (for Aidan O' Neill), Sean Dwyer, Brian Healy, Declan Healy (for Vinny Lehane), Conor Lowney, Enda Lowney, Florry Harrington, Mikey O' Shea (for Luke Daly), Declan O' Neill, Diarmuid O' Sullivan, Sean O' Sullivan (for Iain O' Sullivan inj.), Gavin Power.


Photos: Kathleen Dwyer

Last Updated on Thursday, 07 March 2013 08:33