Local Lotto

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Twitter Feed

Minors Lose Out

Monday, 10 October 2011 13:55
Print PDF

The Urhan minor team unfortunately bowed out of the county championship at the quarter-final stage in Ballingeary yesterday. Urhan 0-09 Kilmeen 4-07.





This was a contest when slick conditions and the space created by the 12-a-side competition made for an entertaining open affair. Urhan, missing a number of players, went down on a somewhat misleading score to a Kilmeen team that showed the greater guile.



Urhan got off to a good start opening the scoring through Aidan O’Neill in the first minute after a swift team counter-attack. Play continued to ebb and flow with both teams working to establish the foothold and soon Kilmeen levelled matters as their forwards created space well with pace and good interplay. They soon pushed ahead after 5 minutes with a further point after a goal chance was spurned.


Aidan O’Neill was proving a good target man in the Urhan attack, however, as they settled into a period of dominance built on by a platform of possession created by the rangy Paul Thomas Nee and in particular Conor Lowney. Soon Urhan went ahead again with two quick scores lively corner forward Sean O’Sullivan.


Kilmeen remained unperturbed, though, despite the strong showing by Urhan in winning primary possession. A loose ball wasn’t dealt with in front of the Urhan goal as numbers proved the defence's undoing and we were tied once more. Kilmeen won the resulting kick-out and a quick, incisive attack resulted in a goal.


This was a lead Kilmeen were never to relinquish as they added the next point on the 13th minute with a free. Urhan had a goal chance of their own as Conor Lowney broke through and shot low to the ‘keeper's right but trailed the effort narrowly wide. Pacy Urhan wing forward, Declan O’Neill, industriously won the next restart as they fought hard to get back into the contest but injury broke the momentum of the attack. Sean O’Sullivan aided the cause with a point to leave a goal in it but it could have been more as the shot canon off the crossbar.


With 19 minutes on the clock, however, Kilmeen’s efficiency dealt a further hammer blow, again hitting the net against the play. They now had a commanding two goal lead, 2-4 to 0-4. Urhan responded again through Sean O’Sullivan and finished the half well with three frees in the closing ten minutes of the half to leave them in a hopeful position at the short whistle.


Urhan started the second period promisingly as midfielder, Paul Nee, came to the fore.  After 5 minutes Nee made another of his fine dispossessions and quickly moved the ball forward to Aidan O’Neill and swift interplay involving Sean O’Sullivan and Declan O’Neill led to the latter registering an Urhan point. The arrears were reduced to the minimum with Aidan O’Neill registering a further point after Conor Lowney, again dominating in the air, fielded a kick-out. Urhan struggled to tie down Kilmeen’s dynamic forward unit and conceded a few frees. As the game entered the closing quarter Kilmeen’s free taker registered two points to put a goal in it again.


On 50 minutes Urhan were handed a big opportunity to gain vital momentum with a penalty award. Sean O’Sullivan drove low to the ‘keeper's right but the net-minder was equal to it and diverted the shot well around the upright. The resulting 45 was hit in around the winner's area but was comfortably dealt with and, buoyed up, they countered.  The initial assault didn’t bear fruit but the restart was won by Kilmeen and finished clinically to the net.


This rare loss of primary possession was the final blow to a gallant Urhan effort. The six point swing ultimately blunted Urhan's assault as they ran out of ideas upfront while Kilmeen continued to cause difficulties. Kilmeen showed great purpose now and began to completely control the game,  drawing frees and tormenting the defence. Kilmeen added a further point to push out a seven-point lead with time almost up. Any glimmer of hope was quelled but Kilmeen were not done yet. Frustration got the better of an Urhan defender as he challenged late. A free resulted from where the ball landed, it was dropped into the small square and appeared to be safe but unfortunately found its way to the net.

Well done and best of luck to Kilmeen in the remainder of the competition.


Team: Diarmuid O' Sullivan; Niall Dwyer, Cormac O' Shea; David Cronin, Luke Daly, Gary Harrington; Paul Thomas Nee; Sean Dwyer, Conor Lowney, Declan O' Neill; Sean O' Sullivan, Aidan O' Neill.


Subs: Dominic Doelkin for Gary Harrington, Kevin Hartnett.

Last Updated on Monday, 10 October 2011 14:23