Local Lotto

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Twitter Feed

Solid Win For Minors

Tuesday, 25 October 2011 12:45
Print PDF
Our Minors emerged comprehensive winners on Saturday, when they overcame CTB 2-13 to 0-09, qualifying for the Beara Final in the process.
ctb 221011 banner
On a fine pitch, and with fine weather and little wind, Urhan started with the greater urgency. They got on the scoresheet when a flowing move drew a free, which Sean O' Sullivan converted. From the kick-out, Conor Lowney pointed from play.
Urhan's whirlwind start continued with another Sean O' Sullivan free and Urhan were 0-3 to 0-0 to the good, moving the ball quickly at all times. Aidan O' Neill won the next kick-out, the first of seven he would win, fed Sean O' Sullivan with a lovely low ball, Sean Dwyer's good running got him on the end of a snap hand-pass, he relayed instantly to the in-running Declan O' Neill who finished a fine move to the net. Immediately, Sean O' Sullivan pointed from play, and after only seven minutes, Urhan led 1-04 to 0-0.
Dean Hegarty pointed well from play for the Town before Jason Walsh opened his account with an equally inpressive point, and 'Town had settled. Walsh and David Cronin were serving up a great match-up that would enertain the crowd throughout the game, and 'Town were moving well when in possession.
Kick-outs were to prove the defining factor all day, however, and Urhan were making use of the huge possession they were gaining there. Sean Dwyer hit a point on thirteen minutes, before hammering home from a tight angle for Urhan's second goal two minutes later. Sean O' Sullivan tacked on another minor.
After a spell of dominance for the Town, Dean Hegarty registered with another point on twenty-seven minutes, only for Niall Dwyer to land a monster point with great aplomb. A Jason Walsh free for CTB finished the scoring for the half. Urhan led 2-07 to 0-04.
The second half was to start with another Sean O' Sullivan point, this one a typically adroit finish to seal another quicksilver move, but it was Town who would boss most of the second half, as Urhan got tired and often got sloppy.  A four-point burst from Town between the forty-first and forty-sixth minute had Town believing in their chances with only a quarter of an hour to go, and only two goals between the sides, and Urhan had to dig deep again.
This they managed, as focus returned. The scores came, courtesy of three converted frees from the boot of Sean O' Sullivan between the forty-seventh and fiftieth minute, and the scores seemed to break CTB's resolve. When Sean O; sullivan pointed from play on fifty-three minutes, it was his tenth point of a fine outing, and he was to leave the field soon after as Urhan continued to bring on fresh legs for aching ones.
The game petered out, thereafter, with a flurry of wides. Another fine Dean Hegarty point for CTB was evened out a beautiful effort from Sean Dwyer concuded the scoring. Urhan were through to the final on a scoreline of 2-13 to 0-09.
Team: Paddy Sheehan; Luke Daly, David Cronin; Niall Dwyer, Cormac O' Shea; Paul Thomas Nee, Conor Lowney; Sean Dwyer, Declan O' Neill; Sean O' Sullivan, Aidan O' Neill.
Subs: Gary Harrington for Declan O' Neill, Dominic Doellkin for Sean Dwyer, Kevin Hanley for Sean O' Sullivan, JJ Hartnett for Paul Thomas Nee (inj.).
Last Updated on Tuesday, 25 October 2011 13:38