Local Lotto

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Twitter Feed

Under-21's Get Past Glengarriff To Qualify For Final

Sunday, 17 March 2013 18:57
Print PDF

Urhan overcame Glengarriff on Saturday in an entertaining Beara Under-21 Championship Semi-Final in Adrigole. Urhan 0-16 Glengarriff 1-09.
dscn5074 banner

Urhan made a bright start and were four points up after ten minutes. Sean O’ Sullivan opened the scoring when put away by Finbarr Dwyer, then turned provider for Declan O’ Neill to shoot over. Hard work by Finbarr Dwyer and a neat pass by Sean Dwyer set up Declan for the third and Aidan O’ Neill and Sean Dwyer  set up Sean O’ Sullivan for the fourth.

The dangerous Kieran McIlhenny got Glengarriff on the board in the eleventh minute with a solo effort and pointed again in the fourteenth sandwiching a Sean Dwyer-assisted minor for Sean O’ Sullivan and Urhan led 0-5 to 0-2 at the quarter-hour stage.

A purple patch for Urhan followed as they got to grips all over the field. Urhan’s backs turned up their dominance and set the platform for the scores that followed. Sean O’Sullivan and Finbarr Dwyer set each other up for a point apiece, before fine work by Kieran O’ Neill set up Finbarr Dwyer and Declan O Neill for a point apiece. Sean O’ Sullivan’s pointed free made it 0-10 to 0-02, the first score from a set-piece with fully twenty-five minutes gone.

Back came Glengarriff as they were sure to do. Two Gearóid O’ Sullivan frees closed the gap before a lightning turn and ferocious shot to the top corner from Kieran McIlhenny produced a wonderful goal on the half-time whistle.

Half-time: Urhan 0-10 Glengarriff 1-04

The third quarter was tight all over the field and possession was hard-won. Gearóid O’ Sullivan pointed for the Glen. Finbarr Dwyer won the resulting kickout and fed Davy Cronin who set up Kieran O’ Neill who restored the goal lead. Kieran McIlhenny pointed again. Declan O’ Neill rounded off a fine team move to respond again. When Declan pointed again in the forty-third minute it prompted a run of Urhan points. Kieran O’ Neill hit two in quick succession and Niall Dwyer found Sean O’ Sullivan in space who promptly stretched the lead to seven.

Kieran McIlhenny pointed yet again for the Glen who looked hard for a goal, but Urhan’s rearguard stood firm and restricted the Glen to two Gearóid O’ Sullivan frees.

On the final whistle it was Urhan who progressed to the Final.

Full-time: Urhan 0-16 Glengarriff 1-09

Team: Diarmuid O’ Sullivan; Niall Dwyer, Luke Daly; Davy Cronin, Cormac O’ Shea; Kieran O’ Neill, Finbarr Dwyer; Sean Dwyer (c), Aidan O’ Neill; Declan O’ Neill, Sean O’ Sullivan.

Subs: Dominic Doellken, Kevin Hartnett (for Declan O’ Neill), Conor Lowney (for Sean Dwyer), Paul Nee, Andrew O’ Neill (for Luke Daly).

Photos: Kathleen Dwyer.






Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 11:56